Friday, January 17, 2014

Fine motor skill development

I have been thinking a lot about fine motor skill development and how to help certain children with these skills.

Using pipettes is one thing that has been useful, as well as really enjoyable, both for me and for the children.  

While continuing to think about this, I babysat a 3-year-old who had just received a new game as a gift.  I am often turned off by many of the toys children this age have to play with, but this one pleasantly surprised me!

It was a "wok" with different colored pieces and tweezers so that multiple children could pick up and sort small objects.  To make the game harder, you can turn the wok on and it shakes, making more fine motor control necessary to succeed at the game.


This little guy wasn't ready for the wok to be turned on yet, but we used the tweezers and sorted for hours together one afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment