Sunday, March 24, 2013

Crock pot broccoli beef

I have a weakness for good Chinese food, especially General Tso's Chicken and Beef & Broccoli, but I know it's really not good for me.  Living just down the street from my favorite hole-in-the-wall Chinese place is dangerous and I crave their food kind of a lot, but am always holding myself back.  I decided to try making my own when I came across a recipe for beef and broccoli in the crock pot.  It doesn't taste quite like it does at Queen House, but it's pretty good, and definitely less unhealthy!


The first time around it reminded me a little bit of one of TDN's staple pot-roast-over-rice meals, but I added a couple extra drops of sesame oil and it was great!

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • fresh broccoli florets
  • hot cooked rice
Directions:
Place beef in crock pot.
In a small bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, and garlic.  Pour over beef.
Cook on low 6-8 hours.
In a cup, stir cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons of sauce from the crock pot until smooth.  Add to crock pot.  Stir well to combine.
Add broccoli.  Stir again.
Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour on high (the sauce has to boil for it to thicken).
Serve over rice.

Adapted from My Fridge Food

No comments:

Post a Comment