Wednesday, June 19, 2013

10 Years

It's hard to keep the tears from my eyes while writing this or even thinking about it.  Ten years ago, I lost my best friend.  A man many loved and admired and depended on, but to me, he was so much more.
 
I was incredibly blessed as a child, because when my parents were at work, my sisters and I didn't spend our days in a daycare center or with a babysitter or nanny.  We got to spend them at the family farm with Grams and Grandpa.
 
My grandpa was the epitome of the strong, silent type.  He didn't say much, but when he did, everyone listened.  I was one of the few people that got to see another side of him. 
 
I spent countless days riding on the fender of his tractor going back and forth between the farm and fields.  We took many trips to market in the old blue pickup - usually stopping for ice cream on the way home!  And we enjoyed many "lunches" of graham crackers and Ovaltine.
 
I don't know what it was, but there was something about the two of us that just worked.  When we were riding in that pickup together, I heard stories of his childhood on the farm, adventures with his brothers, and humorous moments of his early courtship with Grams.  I didn't know until many years after his death, that these were rare experiences.  He and I shared stories that he never even shared with my dad, and I still just can't believe it.
Grandpa, I'm so glad I got to spend all the time with you that I did.  There is so much of your life still on the farm and I can feel it every time I'm there.  I still love to watch storms from the porch or sitting inside with the door open, because you taught me how to relax and trust that I'm being watched over.  You were such an amazing man and I'm so glad to have shared so many memories with you, I just wish you had been here for even more of them, like my graduation from Stanford.  I wish that I could have you by my side in the future when I get married and have children of my own, but I know you are still in my heart.  I love you and miss you every day, Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment