Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Quick Candied Walnuts

Candied nuts are another of my weaknesses.  There's just something so satisfying about the sweetness and the crunch and the savory nuttiness all rolled into one.  AND you can add them to a salad, making any salad that much more satisfying.

I kept forgetting to pick up more candied pecans at the store - or regular pecans, couldn't remember those either - and I needed nuts for a salad I was planning.  I did have a huge bag of walnuts in the pantry - for granola purposes, of course! - so I set out to make my own candied walnuts.


What a satisfying experiment!  They were simple and perfectly delicious, one of my favorite combinations.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup walnut halves and pieces
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter

Instructions:
Lay out a sheet of parchment paper on a counter or baking sheet.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add walnuts, sugar, and butter.
Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until all sugar is melted and nuts are coated.
Transfer immediately onto parchment and spread the nuts apart with a spatula.
Let the coating harden for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a bowl or container.



No comments:

Post a Comment