Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pizza quinoa casserole


I have realized this year that I love quinoa (now that I know what it is).  Add that to my Midwestern-ness, and I've started to have fun with quinoa in casserole form.  This is one of my new favorite casseroles, and it can be made as a side dish or a main dish.  Since I like making casseroles that are almost an entire meal on their own, I usually add ground beef or turkey to this and just add a veggie - like yummy Brussels sprouts - on the side.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa (and 2 cups water)
  • 1-1.5 pounds ground beef or turkey
  • 6oz can tomato paste
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I've used parmesan, mozzarella, and a Mexican blend, and all are good)
Directions:
Combine quinoa and water in a pot over high heat.  Bring to a boil, then cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.  Remove from heat and leave covered.
While quinoa is cooking, brown ground beef or turkey in a skillet.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine tomato paste, garlic, onion, water, and olive oil well.  Add seasonings and mix again.  Add quinoa and meat, combine.  Mix in some of the cheese if you want.
Spread everything in the casserole dish, sprinkle with cheese, and place in the oven.
Bake 30-35 minutes until cheese is lightly browning.

Adapted from Food Doodles


 

No comments:

Post a Comment