Monday, September 7, 2015

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes

With the beginning of the new school year upon us, I try to choose well-known songs for part of my story time plan.  I find that having a song that the children - new and returning - know makes early story times easier.  Many children find it easier to attend when they know the tune, words, and/or actions of the song.

This is such a classic, but it's one of my favorite songs that I can go to in a pinch when I need something to occupy a large group.

Everyone knows the words, but there are many other fun things you can do with this song to extend it.  Some of my favorite ways to mix it up include leaving out a word or two, modifying speed, modifying volume, and using other languages.  My top modification is attempting to sing the song in reverse, which tends to trip up the children, teachers, parents, and myself, and we all end up laughing together to end the song.

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes
Head, shoulders, knees, and toes
Knees and toes.

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes
Knees and toes.

Eyes and ears and mouth and nose.

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes
Knees and toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment