Sunday, March 24, 2013

Family Narratives

I just came across this wonderful story in the New York Times.  It discusses the impact that knowing your family narrative can have on a young person's confidence, resilience, and happiness.

As a psychologist, I enjoy reading about their "Do you know?" test where children are asked things like where their grandparents grew up and how their parents met, and thinking about the data they collected and the way they did it.

As a teacher, I like hearing about ways to foster a community and a larger sense of self in ways like the Naval academy's "history-building exercises."

As a fifth-generation South Dakota farmer, I grew up hearing the narrative for my paternal grandfather's family, and will still tell it to anyone who asks and/or will listen.  I grew up at the original farmstead from when my great-great-grandparents came to America from Germany in 1878.  I've always found it really cool to be a part of that history, and now it seems it may have had something to do with me becoming the happy person I am!


This Christmas, Tall Dark and Nerdy gave me the most wonderfully thoughtful gift.  He tracked down the book about South Dakota farm and ranch families that has what I think is one of the 3 best photos ever taken of my grandfather.  My dad has a copy of this book on his coffee table, my grandma has one in her living room, and I love having one to complete my home.

Growing up, I was lucky enough to not go to daycare every day.  Instead, I spent time at the farm with my grandparents.  My grandfather was my best friend as a child.  In the eight years since he's been gone, I've never stopped missing him, and I never will.  But I know his stories better than most thanks to the countless hours I spent on the fender of his tractor or the cab of his pickup.  And those stories mean everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment