Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blanched vegetables

For those of you who don't know yet, my man eats a lot of vegetables.  And he makes it his goal to drastically increase my vegetable intake - since before him it was pretty much nonexistent.  
This is a BIG bag of broccoli!
Tall Dark and Nerdy now continues his veggie-quest even when he's out of town.  He gets a massive amount of fresh vegetables, more than anyone could possibly eat in a week - in my eyes, at least - shortly before leaving for a work trip.  Then, what he hasn't eaten yet comes home with me.  

When he left last week for South by Southwest there was a MASSIVE (48 ounce) bag of broccoli and a quite large bag of brussel sprouts that came home with me.  On top of that, I had actually bought myself a (much more reasonably sized) bag of broccoli for a recipe I had planned.  I made crock pot broccoli cheese soup and crock pot broccoli beef, and ate broccoli with ranch every afternoon for several days when I wanted a snack, and I still couldn't seem to make it through all that broccoli!

In came Mom to the rescue!  During a phone call I complained to her about the sheer amount of broccoli I was trying to consume and she reminded me of what we always did at home with massive amounts of broccoli:  blanching.  Now, I have blanched broccoli and brussel sprouts in my freezer, ready for whenever I can stand to eat them again!

Ingredients:
  • broccoli (or brussel sprouts)
  • water
  • quart-size freezer bags
Easiest ingredient list ever, right?

So happy TDN opened my eyes to how
delicious these little guys are!

Directions:
Bring water to rapid boil in large pot.  Add broccoli.  Return to boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times.
Remove from heat and strain.
Dump cooked broccoli into COLD water to stop the cooking.
Bag it up and freeze it!

The only thing I did differently for the brussel sprouts was salting the water at the beginning.  Super simple!

My favorite thing about blanching green veggies like these is the beautiful color everything ends up from being boiled and then stopped right at the perfect time.

No comments:

Post a Comment