Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chocolate-covered cherry refrigerator oatmeal

I try to spend as much of my morning in bed as possible before leaving for work, so I have grown to love refrigerator oatmeal for breakfast.  I put one together in the evening, enjoy my full night of sleep, and grab it on my way out the door in the morning.  This recipe is my favorite experiment so far...probably because it means I can eat chocolate for breakfast!

Ingredients:

After mixing, before
refrigerating.

  • 1/4 cup uncooked oats (old fashioned rolled oats recommended; do not use steel cut oats)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup yogurt (I use non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, yum!)
  • 1/4 cup pitted and chopped cherries (I always have some frozen ones on hand just for this reason)
  • Small handful mini chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon honey


Directions:

In a small container (I love using freezer-canning jars.  They are the perfect size, seal well, and travel well) combine oats and chia seeds.  Add milk, yogurt, cherries, chocolate chips, and honey, and stir well.  Cover.  Refrigerate overnight, and enjoy in the morning!

Overnight, the milk and yogurt soak in to the chia seeds and oats to make them soft and delicious, leaving you with a sweet, savory, and satisfying breakfast-to-go.


Adapted from The Yummy Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment