Monday, January 28, 2013

Christmas roll-out cookies

My mom gave me cookie-decorating supplies for Christmas, a gift which I was ordered to open early.  Boy, am I glad I did!  My sister and I had so much fun making and decorating these, and tall, dark, and nerdy, my boys, and my friends had a lot of fun eating them!



Now, I have to admit, I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of making cookies, frosting them, AND decorating them, so we cheated a little and made sugar cookies from a mix (two mixes actually...double batch!), modifying them a little bit to make better roll-out cookies (all it took was adding a little flour).  When I make these again in a few weeks for Forced Affection Day, who knows, I might go all out :)




Steps:
Make cookie dough according to package directions for roll-out cookies.
Roll out on floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out shapes using cookie cutters and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Repeat until all dough is used.
Bake at 375 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.  Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet.  
Cool completely before decorating.  While cookies are cooling, make frosting.
Decorate, and enjoy!




The frosting we used was a quick and delicious vanilla buttercream.


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
Directions:
In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with electric mixer on low speed.  Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.  If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time.  If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar.
For colored frosting, put a small amount of frosting in a separate bowl, add a drop or two of gel food coloring, and mix.

We had to double this batch to frost all of our cookies, but it was so quick that we hardly missed a beat in our decorating!

We used the cookie cutters, icing bags, couplers, and tips that came in the magic box from Mom, and had so much fun!


Frosting recipe adapted from Betty Crocker














No comments:

Post a Comment